Wednesday, January 15, 2014

An unexpected visit to Vimutti: The walking monk, Jason Chan



14-01-2014

Bhante Jason's visit was the most pleasant surprise! He was an anagarika in Santi at the time I just came there after the Vasa in 2009. He was already extremely dedicated to his practice.

He left Santi after I did in 2010 and I lost all contact with him. I got to know that he had ordained in Sri Lanka and that was all. I lost all hope that I will see him again.

When I was told on Sunday that he was on his way to my place I was inmenselly happy. I hurried to prepare lunch and he ate it all alone under a tree in the garden.

His complexion was so radiant that was hard to believe he ate only one meal a day during his walking from Queensland to Sydney! His movements were very mindful, his voice calm and grounded as he was telling about what the practice is about.

He is a real homeless monk. He lives no where, has no especial name, follows no rituals and really follows the Buddha's instructions. His only robe is been discoloured by the sun, the rain, the wind and time. He carries only this robe, his bowl and a bottle with water. He eats only one meal a day and sit with mosquitos, flies,  and sleeps in the wild whenever the night encounters him.

I feel he came just when I most needed to hear all what he have to say: something that I already knew but that I was so scared to accept because of so much needed letting go to accomplish it. "Letting go of the safety, letting go of security, of the "knowing what will be next", of "wanting to make sure how things will unfold"... Letting go of this extremely vulnerable "I". I suddenly realised how unprepared I was for the real path.

To see that, helped me to see even further: I know where I want to go; I know is possible, and I also know how I must train to be ready to ordain as a real Buddhist nun. It is not about learning about the path; it is not about walking the path; it is about making the path as you walk.

Bhante Jason; thank you for your message and inspiracion.


2 comments:

  1. What you have written is very inspiring. I rejoice with you on meeting bhante Jason and having the luck to offer him dana...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Bhanthe Jason too.Any idea how to keep track where he is @ any given time

    ReplyDelete